Sunday, July 8, 2012
Two Trees and a very large woman
These are two of the drawings that I was working on this week. The tree comming out of an egg doesnt have a specific meaning, its just about genesis, how unexpected things happen. I wasnt liking the bottom drawing, then Leslie said she liked it and I thought oh yeah well I guess I can see that. Do I have enough integrity, (or a large enough ego,) to be an artist? I do like the simplicity of it.
I went to the Denver Art Museum with my online art appreciation class saturday and fell in love with a 15 foot woman. Its a sculpture named Mud Woman Rolls on by Roxanne Swentzell. Its a woman with three children constructed using straw and earthen plaster. its very much like the process of building a straw bale house. Her mother was an architect. If I had stayed in the Architecture program at CU I think that I would have gravitated toward adobe and related building processes. Its basically sculpture that you live in. I have been researching the techniques she used because being a man, the idea of making really large statues appeals to me. Any way Roxanne rocks and I love her sculpture. I may be creating some bas relief sculptures of my own based on these techniques. here is a link to a you time lapse video of her making the sculpture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VZu3tbmfMQ&feature=related
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment